Town of Center History
"Center, in the northwestern part of the county, was organized by a legislative enactment approved Feb. 17, 1842, and then included the present town of Center and portions of Plymouth, Spring Valley, Magnolia, and Janesville west of the river. Magnolia was set off Feb. 2, 1846, and other towns were formed, wholly or in part, from its territory at later dates. Its present limits are those of township 3 north, of range 11 east. Andrew Stevens, the first settler, located at Black-Oak Grove in October, 1843. His nearest neighbor was five miles away, the next nearest ten. Other early settlers were David and Philander Davis, William Webb, William Warren and Elijah Wood. The first election was held at the house of James V. Knowlton."
-The Portrait and Biographical Album of Rock County, Wisconsin, ©1889